[TowerTalk] Quad Question(s)

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 19:39:58 EDT

In a message dated 5/2/01 12:30:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:

>  I'd bet almost zero quad wires fail from exceeding tension limits of
>  the wires, and most fail from flexing at joints.

I will take the bet!
I never had wire fail in Quad from flexing. There is (almost) no flexing when
antenna is properly strung, with just enough tension to keep the wires from
flopping or flexing. In the corners I use black plastic ties, wrap it around
the wire couple of times and thread it through the hose clamp, which clamps
to the spreader. I keep about half inch distance between wire and hose clamp
to prevent any potential arcing over at high voltage point (due to
capacitance). When the spreaders and wire are up, I keep pulling one corner
to get the proper tension, just enough not to bend the spreaders and make
wire nice and tight.

I wouldn't use aluminum wire, copper is cheap and good.
Wire I use is #12 or #10 house PVC coated solid Cu wire. I pre-stretch it
(harden) and it doesn't go anywhere after that. Originally I though that
insulated wire would minimize the rain static, but the difference is hardly
noticeable. Insulation only prevents corrosion and wire has to be shortened
by about 4% due to lengthening by insulation.

Properly designed and installed quad will provide trouble free service and
run circles around Yagis (up to 4 elements). You can have quieter reception
and dual polarization with one feed line.
That ain't no folklore, it is a proven, measured fact (not just calculated).

Yuri, K3BU

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com

-----