[TowerTalk] MFJ / Hy-Gain, cont'd.

N9EN@VOYAGER.NET n9en@voyager.net
Fri, 4 May 2001 10:30:10 -0500

Hello to all T-T'ers! I've been reading all the posts having
to do with MFJ / Hy-Gain and I thought that I'd add my
own "two cents worth."

As I had mentioned in a posting a few weeks ago, I tried
to get a price quote from MFJ/H-G for some repair parts
for a Hy-Gain 105BA antenna that I'm (still) in the process
of refurbishing. My e-mail was IGNORED.

I then sent a letter, printed out with the help of my used
$20 H-P inkjet printer, and included a business-size SASE.
Guess what? That was IGNORED, also. Someone was
kind enough to e-mail me their 800-number and that per-
son told me how he'd used that number, placed an order
for his part(s) and received them very quickly.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I also tried that route. I
told the person exactly what I needed (with Hy-Gain
part numbers), gave them a VISA credit card number
and am still waiting for the parts to arrive.

That's a far cry from the days when Hy-Gain was a part
of the Telex Corporation. I used to get EXCELLENT
service from Telex Hy-Gain. They'd send me antenna
instruction manuals free of charge, get the parts shipped
out quickly, etc. One time, I needed a few of the small
plastic element end caps for an antenna I was rebuilding.
The person told me that they would ship me out a half
dozed of them AT NO CHARGE. A few days later, the
plastic end caps came to my QTH.

As far as Ameritron is concerned, I bought an AL82 be-fore that company was
bought out by MFJ. It has been a
very good amp. It now needs a little TLC. The blower
fan needs to be cleaned and oiled and also something
has come "loose" inside the amp, as the unit starts to
make a loud humming noise after it has been on for awhile.
I have yet to take the time to take the cover off and see
what has loosened up.

Anyway, those are my experiences. Just thought I'd pass
them along. 73 de Brad @ Radio Free Roscoe...

home of four guyed Rohn towers; 2-25G (62' & 63')
and 2-45G (90' & 137'). No more towers to put up,
just all the monobanders, after I finish installing the heavy-
duty guy anchoring systems for the 25Gs...

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com

-----