[TowerTalk] Baluns and SWR

Tom Martin tmartin@chartermi.net
Thu, 17 May 2001 11:42:24 -0500

I have read so many posts about baluns and SWR that I am thoroughly
confused!  I am going to be erecting a 96 foot tower with a 5 element
Telex 20 meter monobander and a 2 element S-402 by Mosley and a 3
element Telex 10 meter monobander.  I want to avoid the ferrite core
balun and use a coax balun.  I can get no consensus about how many
windings, how many inches for the form, etc.  The manuals, antenna
books, and TowerTalk members suggest 12 turns, 6 turns, 8 turns, 4-6
turns, all on either a 4 inch form, or a 6 inch form, or air wound and
taped. The list of suggested turns and methods of windings goes on and
on, not to mention what type of coax to use: 213, 58, 8U, 8X, teflon,
etc. The Mosley instructions don't mention a balun at all which I didn't
use at a previous QTH.  I didn't notice any problems with front to back,
gain, or TVI/RFI without a balun on the 402.

So, what's a fellow to do???

Also, I agree that trying to get the perfect match 1:1  SWR is an
obsession with a lot of hams.  Of course, the use of solid state rigs
has fostered this mania.  My 830 will get out fine with a 5-1 SWR.
However, it is a bit disconcerting to see the reflected meter pegging
the post on voice peaks when using the amp.  73 to all.  Tom

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----