[TowerTalk] GM Hazer with guys

Kevin Hemsley Kevin Hemsley" <kev@ida.net
Tue, 22 May 2001 17:28:25 -0600

Greetings all:

Since I have had several requests to share the information that I received
on and off the list regarding the use of guy wires with the Hazer Tram
system from Glen Martin Engineering,  ( http://www.glenmartin.com )  I
decided to post this to the list, rather than to respond to everyone
individually.

My initial question to the group was:

> I'm looking for suggestions and caveats on the use of guys with a Hazer.

I received several responses on and off the list.  I also called Glen Martin
Engineering, and posed the same question. Here is a summary of what I
received from everyone:

KEY POINTS

*  Glen Martin stated that a fifty foot tower will require only one set of
guy wires in most cases. They suggest putting these guys at the very top of
the tower in the few inches just above the Hazer. To lower a beam antenna,
disconnect two guys by completely unscrewing the turnbuckles at the ground.
The guys will then drape in toward the tower. The Hazer can then be lowered
to the ground. Once down, the guys can be reconnected.

*  Beyond 50', multiple guys are required.

* For towers greater than 50' which utilize two or three sets of guys, the
process to lower a beam is the same as with a single guy, except, that you
can reconnect the top guys once the antenna is low enough.  Then you
disconnect the next set of guys, and continue to lower the Hazer.  This
process continues until the Hazer tram is safely at the bottom, and all
necessary guys are reconnected.

*  A 70' tower seems to be a common recommended height for a tower using a
Hazer.

*  Purchase a Loose tension gauge to assure all guys are tensioned properly.

*  Use fork type ends on the anchor side turnbuckles.  This allows you to
simply unscrew them a bit to loosen up the guy, remove the cotter pin, push
out the fork pin and the guy end drops away.  Much easier than completely
unscrewing the whole turnbuckle.

*  Steel Hazer and the optional roller bearings were recommended by Brian,
K3KO. They make raising and lowering so much less of a problem.  No
possibility of the Hazer binding on the way up or down.

*  Mark where the turnbuckle was tightened to with a felt tipped pen before
releasing the guys.  Makes it much easier to get them close before
tensioning.

*  When using multiple guys on a tower higher than 50', life is a lot easier
when the top set of guys is attached to the tower above the Hazer and not
attached to the Hazer itself.  There is just enough room.  Having guys
attached to the Hazer leaves you with no guys supporting the top of the
tower when the middle set of guys are dropped.

*  Attach the mid guy wires to the tower with big stainless steel
carabineers and heavy galvanized chain.  I could not find a strong enough
carabineer which would fit over the tower leg.  However, I could find chain
I could wrap around and hook the carabineer in to.  You have to completely
remove all guys and attachment stuff or the HAZER won't go by.

*  When raising the Hazer, life is easier if you temporarily attach the
lower guys to the Hazer and let the winch do the job of getting them where
you can  re-attach.

*  Although not directly related to the use of a Hazer, Bill, N3RR has put
together an excellent reference on his tower projects with a very detailed
engineering look from a systems engineering point of view (I like thinking
of things this way :-) ).   http://www.erols.com/n3rr  Bill, I derived a lot
of good thinking out of looking through your nice site.  I will be spending
more time reviewing your notes.

*  Various hints and tricks for raising and lowering a Hazer were relayed
depending on the tower height, and number of guys.  These can be read in a
few of the responses I received listed below:

OTHER RESPONSES

==============================
Brian K3KO wrote:

Hi I had 100 ft Rohn 45 with a Hazer track from top to bottom. Guys, all
Kevlar at 33 66 and 99 ft. Attached to buried cement logs at 80 ft out.
Wanted to drive a 204BA at the top.  Very difficult!

With the top guys attached above the Hazer, here is the lowering process I
use:

1) Release two of the three top guys at the anchor end.  One guy doesn't
have to be dropped.

2) Lower the Hazer to just above the middle set.

3) Re-attach the top guys and tension them.

4) Climb the tower and drop the middle set (all 3)

5) Climb down and lower the Hazer.

6) Raise Hazer above the lower attach points

7) Climb up and  Re attach and re-tension the middle guys.

8) Climb down, release two of the 3 top guys

9) Crank the Hazer all the way up, reattach and retension each of the guys.

Earl W7TK wrote:

Hi I had 100 ft Rohn 45 with a Hazer track from top to bottom. Guys, all
Kevlar at 33 66 and 99 ft. Attached to buried cement logs at 80 ft out.

Wanted to drive a 204BA at the top.  Very difficult!

You can snap whip around the beam  the two bottom guys you loosen to be
unconnected. Raise the Hazer over the guy point and reconnect 33 ft
guys. The next set of guys when unconnected  took innumerable attempts to
whip the around the beam. Raise the Hazer reconnect 66 ft guys.No way,
No how could I snap whip the top two guys at 99 ft..   Plan B. This included
turning the beam by rotator to get the best slip by angle.
There is quite a bit of angular play possible.

Plan B was to run a full 200 ft loop of good slippery rope over each end of
the boom so I could pull up the guy and over the boom.  Worked
snazzy.  BUT when I wished to take the dingus down again I had to rely on
the boom pushing the guy toward the tower and fundamentally that
left two set of guys unconnected when the beam on the Hazer was at 33 feet.
Needs promise of absolute calm day or you will find a Plan C.

My Plan C was to sell the whole shooting match and buy a 72 ft UST crank
down with electric motor.

I was impressed by the workmanship from Glen Martin and their Hazer.  I
should have listened closer while they tried to dissuade me from going
to 100 ft. I know now why they like 70 ft! I think Kevlar is the cats
whiskers albeit pricey.  That was the first item that sold off!.

I still have the 204BA but put a Tennadyne T10 LPA at mebbe 85 feet. I'm
happy with that.  The Tennadyne seems to like heights above 50 ft
best. It has ridden through some nasty winds this year.

===========================

Thanks,
                Kevin
----------------------------------
Kevin Hemsley
Systems Engineer
Microserv Computer Technologies, Inc.
kev@ida.net
KB7TYA

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----