[TowerTalk] GM Hazer with guys

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@easystreet.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 10:28:54 -0700

I find this to be an interesting conflict.  If you look in the Rohn book, you
will see that ALL fifty foot 25G towers have TWO sets of guys even at the lowest
wind speed of 70 mph.  Glen Martin says one set is usually enough.  So now we
have two manufacturers with conflicting advice . . . how do we apply the LXC
Prime Directive to this situation?

As for taking ALL three of the guys off of 50 feet of 25G to lower a Hazer, that
would make me VERY nervous since Rohn says the maximum height for an unguyed
Rohn 25G is 40 feet and that is with only 1.5 square feet of antenna on it and
then only in the lightest wind areas.  I realize you won't be intentionally
lowering your Hazer in the wind, but it still makes ME nervous since I am not
that good at predicting unscheduled wind gusts . . .

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

Kevin Hemsley wrote:

> My initial question to the group was:
>
> > I'm looking for suggestions and caveats on the use of guys with a Hazer.
>
> I received several responses on and off the list.  I also called Glen Martin
> Engineering, and posed the same question. Here is a summary of what I
> received from everyone:
>
> KEY POINTS
>
> *  Glen Martin stated that a fifty foot tower will require only one set of
> guy wires in most cases. They suggest putting these guys at the very top of
> the tower in the few inches just above the Hazer. To lower a beam antenna,
> disconnect two guys by completely unscrewing the turnbuckles at the ground.
> The guys will then drape in toward the tower. The Hazer can then be lowered
> to the ground. Once down, the guys can be reconnected.

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----