[TowerTalk] How far down should the rotor be located

Mark . n1lo@hotmail.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 15:21:33 -0400

Stan wrote:
<< ...snip...If you want the rotator lower in the tower than that, you have
to do something special to make it happen:

1.  Modify the tower by cutting out the diagonals....snip..

2.  Modify the shelf by cutting away part of it so it will clear the
diagonals....snip...

3.  Mount the shelf at the junction of the top section and the section just
below it ...snip...>>

I chose option #2 above for my Rohn 25G tower installation. One 90 degree,
1" deep V-notch in each of the three sides of a Rohn accessory plate, will
let it fit just about anywhere in the top section without compromising the
strength. The notches are not centered in the sides, but a bit off of center
to clear the diagonal braces.
I installed a Yaesu 800SDX rotor without cutting any tower braces. I think I
had to temporarily remove the rotor's clamp plates, though. I painted the
cut edges of the shelf with cold galvanizing compound.

--...MARK_N1LO...--