[TowerTalk] dB Loss Equivilents for SWR Values

Dale L Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Fri, 25 May 2001 17:40:01 -0500

> Does anyone know how to calculate the dB loss equivalents for given SWR
> values? Either a on-line chart of the equivalent loss for all SWR
> values or
> a formula where I could plug in various values and generate a like chart
> would be great. I realize that I could calculate lose by
> measuring the power
> at both ends of a coax segment and plugging it into: 10log(beginning/end)
> and then comparing that with the SWR but I'm interested in all dB
> loses for
> all SWR values, not just for one specific coax with one specific SWR. Any
> and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Nat,

Do you not have an ARRL Handbook for Radio Amateurs?  Do you not have an
ARRL Antenna Handbook?

Both have sections dealing with transmission line losses in matched and
mismatched lines.

Also, if you got to yahoo.com and type in "mismatched line losses" you will
get a number of interesting hits.

You might even find a VSWR calculator among them.

73,
dale, kg5u

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">