[TowerTalk] The leaning tower of Ham!

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@easystreet.com
Sun, 07 Oct 2001 20:55:15 -0700

Peter Larsen wrote:

> So now my question:
> Can any one tell me what the weight of a 56 foot Rohn tower
> would be? I have an idea that it will be hard to get a big enough
> bucket truck into the yard to reach the beams.
> So I feel that the tower will have to come down by being slung
> above the center point of gravity and unbolted from the base.
> Then lowered with the winch.
> I have told my friend that under no circumstance is any one
> allowed to climb the tower!!
> Yes I know this is a very dangerous job, but the tower needs to
> come down right away.
> I believe that the cement under the ground has rotted away to
> the extent that it is no longer viable. Very high alkaline soil
> in this area. Even some basements have had to be redone.
>
> If any one wants some pics of the tower please reply off
> of the reflector.

It is not obvious what model of Rohn tower you are talking about.  There is no
"Rohn H.D. 56" tower that I know of.  You might mean "Rohn HBX56".  If so, the
shipping weight was 419 pounds without base stubs or any accessories, mast,
rotator, antennas, or feed lines.  I hope this helps.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----