[TowerTalk] Big gun? (soldering, that is)

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Sat, 01 Sep 2001 14:14:01 +0000

Some observations.

What you need depends upon several factors:
1) Indoor vs outdoor
2) Silver plated/nickel plated connectors
3) Diameter and type of solder used.

I've found a 100/140 watt Weller soldering iron fine for indoor,
silver plated UHF connectors using .062" diameter 60/40 rosin core
solder.

Nickel connectors seem to require more heat.

More wattage needed outdoors when temp below 70F. With smaller
diameter solder (.032") it takes too long to deposit enough solder and
one runs the risk of melting the coax.

For what it is worth, the Radio Shack 64-2187 230/140 watt iron (a
Weller look alike) is useless.  At the high setting, the only thing
which gets hot is the area between the gun and the tip.  In fact it
glows red hot.  The tip is relatively cold.  Great design.....

Finally, beware.  They are selling "lead free" solder in many places
these days.  It appears to be silver solder mix.  That requires
different heat conditions than does the 60/40 standard stuff.  I'm not
saying it's bad, just different.

73 de Brian/K3KO

"Roger D. Johnson" wrote:

> I have an old beat up Weller D-550. It's rated for 240/325 watts and
> it does a good job on PL-259's. The idea is to heat up the shell
> quickly and flow the solder before the coax melts. Attempts with
> lower powered guns were not as satisfactory.
>
> 73, Roger
>
> List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
> supporting towers up to 96 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com
>
> -----