[TowerTalk] EZ way tower and Mast

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Fri, 07 Sep 2001 13:27:07 +0000

Main concern is when the tower is being tilted.  Put too much extra
weight at a large 15' moment arm and you might be in a grey area.

I don't know if it is OK or not.  However, I had an EZway tower with a
4 element Gem quad on it, 5' above the top of the tower.  That would
be about 30 pounds x 5' =150ft/lbs of added moment for tilting.  I
also had a Ham 1v mounted at the top inside of the tower.

You are adding the weight of the mast + 15'x8 pounds = 120 ft pounds.
A steel mast could be quite heavy.  But you don't have a rotor.
Perhaps using an aluminium mast would eliminate concerns.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Mark Ackaway wrote:

> I just got my EZ way delivered and it seems to be in good shape.  It
> is a 2 part crank up fold over and fully extened it is about 51'.  It
> had a mast on it at one time, but not sure how high.  It has 3 plates
> at the top for a 2" mast.  The bottom plate is about 5' from the top
> of the tower.  I would like to add about 15' to this tower using a
> mast.  Would a 20' mast be ok on this tower?  Should I use steel or
> aluminum?  I will only be putting a small 24" omni directional antenna
> at the top and a small 18"x2" radio box.  Combined weight will be less
> than 5 lbs.
>
> Once again thanks for all the help you guys have been giving me on
> this.
>

>  Mark                          mailto:ackster@pcsonline.com
>
> List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
> supporting towers up to 96 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com