[TowerTalk] Shortened Dipole on 160M

Frank Norton KB8XU franknorton@home.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:38:22 -0400

Hello again,

Thanks for the wonderful information about different 160M antennas!  I
received many private emails from all over the world in addition to all of
the posts on Top Band and Tower Talk.

My summary:

First, I am definitely putting up the dipole to try on both transmit and
receive.  It will be only 0.1 lambda AGL but I received so many emails in
favor of it that I have to give it a good comparison as a combination
antenna as well as a receive only "low dipole". I'll report back on
comparisons.

Second, I plan to shunt feed/topload my tower for the same series of
comparisons as with the dipole.  Yes, even using the vertical as a receive
only antenna!

Third, I am erecting a an inverted L in the center of my backyard where I
can get a better radial field under it than under the tower.  It will be
fairly close to the tower in lambda fractions, but I will detune the tower
with a relay during use of the inverted L (and other suggested shapes for
the 0.25 lambda wire.  This will also allow comparisons about diameter of
the radiator and some other suggested "shape change" experiments that were
suggested.  (it's pretty difficult to alter the shape or slope of a tower
;o) !!

Fourth, I am going to try several different height and length low wire
receive antennas, even though they will be far too short to be considered a
beverage.

Finally, thanks to Pete/N4ZR and then several others, I remembered the K9AY
loop array and will definitely put that up ASAP (actually a slight
variation on the theme).  I may try another small loop or larger loop if I
can fit it in (both time wise, and space wise) on my double lot.

It will be a very interesting fall getting ready for Winter season, while
trying to get up at all hours to listen on Top Band!

Thanks to each and every one of you who made a comment.  Together they form
quite a Gestalt of antennas for 160M. (Just for info:  Gestalt was a man
who said most system  views are greater than the sum of the parts.)

73 de Frank KB8XU

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----