[TowerTalk] Shortened Dipole on 160M

Mike & Coreen Smith ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:42:20 -0300

Frank, et al

Guess I missed the original post and the subsequent ones, but FWIW, I've
tried hundreds of antennas over the years
for all bands 70cm-160m, many of them on 160m.
Specifcally for 160m,  in no real order:
Alpha-Delta DX-A twin sloper
Low dipole (apex @ 48')
Inverted Vee (variation of same)
Carolina Windom 160
Full wave loop (rectangle) (not horizontal loop, but perpendicular to the
Earth)
Shuntfeeding a 48' Delhi tower (with 20' mast & LOTS of antennas on top)
1/4-WL inverted L wire (top 'corner' @ 50')
5/16th-WL Inverted L wire with series cap

The last antenna BAR none kicked the others butts BIG TIME.

I strung 170' of insulated #12AWG as an inverted L  over some tall Poplar
trees in my yard, with a large series air variable ~800pF and it really
works well. I have about 30-some full length 1/4wl radials)
It ain't no 4-square but it is amazing.  I rarely get on 160m anymore but in
a year and a half or so I worked 150+ countries
on 160m running either 100w or 1kW.(usually the latter)

I almost always had 2 or 3 antennas on the go at any one time so always did
the "A-B" comparison thing.

I can assure you, the 5/16th inv-L cracked the pileups 8 or 9 times out of
10, the first call.  Now, I live in a swamp so have great soil for 160m but
this antenna REALLY works.
Save yourself some time (AKA blood/sweat/tears) and install an inverted L.

1000' unterminated BEV for RX @ times
FWIW

Mike VE9AA

Michael, Coreen & Corey Smith