[Towertalk] Orion RC2800 controller

Phil Duff na4m@arrl.net
Sat, 06 Apr 2002 02:56:57 +0000

At 14:16 4/4/2002 +0100, David Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>I have been using a small Prop Pitch motor for many years and the weak
>point has always been my home made direction indicator.I am interested in
>the Orion RC2800 control unit,but I find the specifications on the M2 site
>confusing.The RC2800P and the RC2800PP-PROP PITCH controller have
>precisely the same specifications,word for word,yet one is $395 and the
>other is $549.When I ask M2 if the RC2800P at $395 would control my prop
>pitch,I am told that the power supply is not adequate,yet according to the
>specifications both the RC2800P and the RC2800PP have standard output
>volts of 33VDC @ 12A. Can anyone help clear up this confusion?

I run my prop-pitch with a RC2800P-A controller.

My M2 invoice shows it as an RC2800PP.  Not sure what differences there are
between current production units as far as their power-supply output
ratings.  However, my notes from a conversation with M2 prior to my
purchase (late 1997) show I was told the PP model was rated for 20A
peak/10A continuous with a DC output of 40 or 50VDC depending on how a tap
was set.   Mine has worked reliably and without problem for 4 years.

>I would also be interested in comments and advice from anyone who has
>actually used the RC2800P or the RC2800PP to control a prop pitch.How
>reliable are they and are there any particular points to watch when
>setting them up? I note that Clive GM3POI on 28 July 2000 seemed to have a
>problem with the indicator reed relay missing pulses from the rotating
>magnet.Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so what was the solution?

Problems with the pulse counting/reed switch circuit can usually be
avoided/resolved by using a separate run of coaxial cable such RG-58 or
RG-8X from the controller to the M2 reed switch on the prop-pitch.  Then
use a separate run of 3 conductor UF rated (outdoor/UV resistant)  AC mains
feeder cable commonly called "Romex" in the USA for the prop-pitch motor feed.
Be sure to not let any water get into any portion of the pulse cabling/wiring.

73 Phil NA4M