[Towertalk] covering unused PL259 ? CoaxSeal NO

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:33:02 -0500

> > Why not use "coax seal"? (Best stuff available, of course!)  That should
> >  work perfectly for that purpose.
>
>     I hope this was supposed to be a joke.
>
> (Commercial grade vapor wrap is okay for direct
> application.)

Notice the quotation marks and the phrase "best stuff available" above.
"Commercial grade" vapor wrap" - I also assumed this is what is sold by
Champion, right?

I've removed this stuff by using a pocket knife to make a longitudinal slit
the length of the connector and then peeling it off (after several years),
leaving a pristine connector.  I also believe in Scotch 88, but tape
wouldn't be easy to use to protect an unused SO-239 or PL-259.

I'll also admit to using RS Coax Seal a few times over the years - Sure is
variable - Sometimes it's really sticky and difficult to remove from
anything later, including your hands, and other times it has seemed "just
right".

The $3 apiece threaded plastic cap solution sounded great, except for the
price.  ;-)