[Towertalk] Re: All of the Cable Purchase Source Info Requested - (from K0QE)

Dave D'Epagnier depagnier@msn.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:40:50 -0600

Thanks for all of the responses to my question about where to purchase
direct bury type (polyethylene jacket) cable for my telephone, computer, and
rotor needs. Most all of the responses suggest that I put all of the cable
in conduit which I was actually already planning to do. Being the overkill
type that I am, I wanted to do the job just once and have a water
impermeable rugged jacket on those cables as well. After all of the
postings, it sounds like that may not be necessary, and besides, I still
haven't found a source for anything but coax that is direct bury type cable.
I imagine the phone company cable is real rugged stuff, so I'll try to at
least hit them up for some of that.
Press Jones (N8UG) sent me a real good document (preliminary draft)
describing how to run cable in conduit and how to drain it. He essentially
recommends running non perforated pvc and placing the high spot in the
center of the run and letting any water runout near the ends where he
recommends having either a few perforations or a swept tee with the open end
pointing down into a gravel filled sump hole. I thought he also recommended
using polyethylene jacket cable if possible. Others have described similar
systems. Thanks Press and everyone else.

--Dave
K0QE