[Towertalk] Re: All of the Cable Purchase Source Info Requested - (from K0QE)

Paul-VE3ZT VE3ZT@rac.ca
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:23:40 -0400

I've got some 1970s vintage Andrews Heliax, about 1/2 inch diameter,
corregated copper covered with black poly (vinyl?), foam dielectric, PL259s
are easily soldered on (does anybody know what Andrews called this stuff?).
At that time, Andrews called this hardline "off-spec" and would sell it to
hams substantially discounted. Can I bury this stuff directly? I don't want
to be bothered with pvc tubing.

73, Paul.

At 09:40 AM 17/04/2002, Dave D'Epagnier, you said...

>Thanks for all of the responses to my question about where to purchase
>direct bury type (polyethylene jacket) cable for my telephone, computer, and
>rotor needs. Most all of the responses suggest that I put all of the cable
>in conduit which I was actually already planning to do. Being the overkill
>type that I am, I wanted to do the job just once and have a water
>impermeable rugged jacket on those cables as well. After all of the
>postings, it sounds like that may not be necessary, and besides, I still
>haven't found a source for anything but coax that is direct bury type cable.
>I imagine the phone company cable is real rugged stuff, so I'll try to at
>least hit them up for some of that.
>Press Jones (N8UG) sent me a real good document (preliminary draft)
>describing how to run cable in conduit and how to drain it. He essentially
>recommends running non perforated pvc and placing the high spot in the
>center of the run and letting any water runout near the ends where he
>recommends having either a few perforations or a swept tee with the open end
>pointing down into a gravel filled sump hole. I thought he also recommended
>using polyethylene jacket cable if possible. Others have described similar
>systems. Thanks Press and everyone else.
>
>--Dave
>K0QE

---