[Towertalk] copper plate or ground rod

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:45:36 EDT

In a message dated 4/18/02 5:04:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time, k3nd@yahoo.com
writes:

> This web site is the only place that I remember seeing
>  information about a buried copper plate as an
>  alternative to a ground rod.  They sell a 2ft X 2ft
>  copper plate with cable clamp that gets buried about
>  two feet down.  If this is really an alternative to a
>  ground rod for lightning protection, it would be a lot
>  easier to install in many locations (like mine). At my
>  QTH, you get down 2-3 feet and hit sheets of red
>  shale.

    Another technique where you don't have much soil is to install the ground
rods horizontally. Half a grounding hemisphere is better than none.

    Remember what we're talking about is the connection with earth (dirt). So
while vertical ground rods are the most widely accepted way to do it, there
are other methods as just mentioned.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -