[Towertalk] Hy=Gain 402BA-S

Wayne F. King wfking@worldnet.att.net
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 05:49:32 -0400

HI Folks,

I have a HY-GAIN 402BA-S 40 meter 2 el beam. It works fine on RX and 100
watts TX. However it does not like high power anymore. Instant SWR
infinity with the PA on. Even at 200 watts it appears to arch over. As
long as I run less then 150 watts it's fine.

It's mounted at 110' and 15' above a Mosley Pro-57A. It's feed with 1/2"
heliax and a RG-214U jumper to a WX0B 1.1 balun. I checked the feedline
to the balun with a 50 ohm load and it's fine. The balun checked out
fine. In fact I substituted a coax balun and still the same problem.

I thought I would run this by you folks before I take it down. Hopefully
someone has a handle on this and maybe a fix other then buying a new
antenna.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne N2WK