[Towertalk] Took a hit Sunday--what to do?

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:16:28 -0400

At 02:12 PM 8/8/02 -0400, Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD wrote:
>What can I put on the service to shunt lightning to ground?  Do the
>electricians have something?  The neighbor says they saw the bolt hit the
>top of my mast.  Maybe I got pulsed from farther down the line and my
>ground system worked fine?

More than likely the hit to your mast caused induced voltages of a few
hundred volts on your nearby AC service, particularly if it is above
ground.  Most power companies can now provide a whole-house surge
suppressor placed right at (maybe under) your meter to stop the worst of
this.  Ours rents this big critter to us for ~4 bux a month.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org