[Towertalk] Pouring base of tower

Richard Karlquist richard@karlquist.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 08:36:52 -0800

>     It should be in one pour so that the base is totally
> bonded together. If
> the bottom pour has 'gone off' and hardened, you wind up
> with two separate
> layers.
>
>     Sometimes there are two pours if you have to have two
> trucks worth of
> concrete but they are poured consecutively with little or
> no time delay.

So how much delay is tolerable?  It takes me 20-45 minutes
to drive back to the ready mix place 1 1/2 miles away,
get reloaded, and drive back.  After 45 minutes, I can
at least poke a hole in the previously poured cement
with a stick.  Is this good enough?  Is it helpful to
sprinkle a little water on the top to slow down the
curing before the next pour?  Always wondered about this
stuff.  It is sn't covered in any concrete books I've read :-)

Rick Karlquist    N6RK
richard@karlquist.com
www.n6rk.com
www.karlquist.com