[Towertalk] Pouring base of tower

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 00:21:12 -0500

I think you guys are missing the question....

For self supporting towers, I have seen poured a relatively thin slab
which is very long and wide...after it is cured a secondary pour is made
atop the other after a form is constructed and a smaller in square are
pour is made - but it is usually taller.

Imagine the first pour is a copy of the ARRL Handbook....it sets... a
form is then constructed on top of it which creates a pour that looks
like a W4 wattmeter....

Both pours are reinforced concrete with rebar cages and there is a
common set of rods left sticking up in the center of the intial pour
which then has a form made about it and that pour made....

When 160 enthusiast  W3IN moved to the East Coast of Florida years ago
he had time to erect - though not fully energized before his passuing -
a large self supporting tower which was very wide at the base AND, IF
MEMORY SERVES - roughly a hundred foot tall... he used this technique -
the initial pour is kind like a wide footprint and the secondary pour is
plain old weight.

k4oj