[Towertalk] Dow-Key dirty contacts. & SO-239 Covers

Ken Kinyon - W7TS w7ts@attbi.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:04:53 -0700

Hello to all.
Here is a real bargain:  two questions in one message.
1.  I have a few Dow key relays in my antenna switching set up.  One of them
when de-energized, is not making good contact (signals very weak).  Hit the
key once even with 30 watts RF and it works again.  I am planning to remove
the small hole cover on the end and clean the contacts wit an automobile
ignition contact file. Please tell me if this is not a good idea for some
reason.

2. Is there a cover available to coverSO-239 connectors outdoors.  I just
bought a remote switch for the top of the tower and will not initially use
all positions?  I was considering filling some old used connectors with
silicon seal, but prefer a more elegant solution.
Thanks in advance,
Ken W7TS

-------------------
Kenneth E.  Kinyon