[Towertalk] Dow-Key dirty contacts. & SO-239 Covers

Ronald KA4INM Youvan ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:49:17 +0000

>  I am planning to remove the small hole cover on the end and clean the

> contacts wit an automobile ignition contact file. Please tell me if this

> is not a good idea for some reason.

   Bad idea, too rough, use a thin strips of printer paper and possibly
pressure from a jeweler's screwdriver or a fine pointed tool.
   If that doesn't do it, try thin strips of clean new grocery store bag paper.
If that doesn't do it, borrow a fine `diamond on steal' contact cleaning
tool.
   Most contact cleaner will carbonize and cause `bad contact' trouble if you
transmit through the contacts.

> 2. Is there a cover available to coverSO-239 connectors outdoors.  I just
> bought a remote switch for the top of the tower and will not initially use
> all positions?  I was considering filling some old used connectors with
> silicon seal, but prefer a more elegant solution.

   Close, fill the pin and insulation area with CLEAR silicone grease sold
to be used as power transistor heat sink grease, (by GC) designed to fill
small voids between the transistor and the heat sink, or by Dow for other
uses.  The silicone (not the sticky kind, the Vaseline like product, it
has no bearing strength and it can not prevent electrical contact).

   Wrap one thin layer of electrical tape over the installed connector,
then cover with duct seal or other selastic puddy/wraping tape.
Or if you have the bucks `Plymoth ElectroSeal'.
   The tape allows a clean removal of the puddy/calking from the connector.
Rolls and rolls of electrical tape will not keep water out, nature sees
this just as a challenge.
--
        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% Slack. since July, 1997 (still free!) SENT D&T are UTC