[TowerTalk] High Antenna Modelling

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sat, 02 Feb 2002 09:24:48 -0500

At 08:54 AM 2/2/02 -0500, Don Havlicek wrote:

>> A lot higher than 4-6 wavelengths.  I ran a 10m yagi in EZNEC at 200 feet
>> above ground, and both the deep nulls and reflection gain were still fully
>> evident.
>
>Obviously, the mathematical functions utilized within the modelling
>program do NOT vary when the height above ground [or HAAT] is
>'excessive'.
>
>This is one of the reasons that we must NOT trust the software to give
>EXACT answers, but rather to give 'idealized' situational results of the
>MATHEMATICS involved [not shouting ... just emphasis].

Sorry, but I don't agree.  This modeling software (NEC-2) would be of no
use at all if it hadn't been extensively verified against the real-world
situations that it was developed to model.  There are known limitations of
this representation of real antennas, but a yagi 4-6 wavelengths above
ground at 28 MHz isn't one of them, and certainly isn't "excessive."
Varying the height of the model yagi above ground, from less than 1
wavelength to more than 6, shows a smooth and predictable change in the
radiation pattern that is entirely consistent with experimental data

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower

Order online at http://store.eham.net.