[TowerTalk] Question about triband Quad.

Logan Dietz cdietz@swbell.net
Wed, 06 Feb 2002 14:43:11 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Van K7VS" <wa7fab@cdsnet.net>
To: "Danny" <ON7NQ@pandora.be>; <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question about triband Quad.

> Somewhere in the deep dark past comments have been made that on hf bands
the
> swr is not as important as many would have you believe.  With that in
mind,
> I have always fed my three element tri-band quad (a gem quad) with a
single
> feed line into a current balun at the antenna.  Obviously ignoring the
swr, ...

I must respectfully disagree...

For one thing, it is too easy to build a switch out of an aluminum box, a
few Radio Shack relays and some connectors to mount at the antenna to switch
the feed lines.  Then each of the feed lines can be constructed from the
proper lengths of 75 and 50 ohm coax to give a perfect match on each band
and you still have only one piece of coax to the shack.

While it is a different thread, I'll never believe that SWR is unimportant.
Flat antenna systems have always performed better for me in my 45 years of
ham radio experience.

Chuck, W5PR
ex: KZ5MM, KE5FI, etc.

Order online at http://store.eham.net.