[TowerTalk] Universial Freestanding Tower

Mike W4EF@dellroy.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:40:40 -0800

Hank,

I am curious if you have any insight as to where this
old wives tale about aluminum and work hardening
originated. I remember hearing this kind of thing
repeated 15 years ago when I was going to school.
The version I heard suggested that aluminum had
a propensity to crystalize when it work hardened.
The advice I was given was that if I were on an
aluminum tower and it stopped swaying in the
breeze, that meant that it was about to fail. I sort
of imagined the tower just breaking off and falling
over :). Granted I have seen aluminum yagi element
just break off cleanly mid-section. I had assumed
this was from fatigue failure due to wind induced
vibrations. Of course, this would have been due
to literally millions of fatigue cycles given the
relatively high frequency of vibration. I wonder
if you could comment on this sort of fatigue failure.

Thanks,

Mike, W4EF............