[TowerTalk] aluminum tower disassembly?

Red RedHaines@centurytel.net
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:34:39 -0600

Be careful heating alloys, lest you weaken them.  Universal uses 6063-T832 for
the legs.  I don't know the max to which it may be heated without altering it,
but I'm sure this information is available, possibly from one of the aluminum
manufacturers' associations or an engineering or materials handbook.
Furthermore, I don't know how you can control the temperature while heating
with a torch.  You can't judge temperature of aluminum by color as you can
with steel.  If you don't intend to use it again, saw them apart!

73 de WOØW