[TowerTalk] Is the FCC sharp? Is ARRL counsel swift?

Tom Anderson ww5l@gte.net
Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:30:30 -0600

Ken, fellow tower talk members:

When my XYL Cheryl (WY5H) and I bought our current QTH in 1992 we told the
realtor we were using that we wanted a home in a neighborhood WITHOUT a
neighborhood association.  When we wrote a purchase contract on our present
home it had that proviso and one that their were no restrictions against
having a ham antenna, other than whatever city regulations there might be.
Our city has a 50 foot limit, but its never enforced, although I did once
receive a letter from the city's planning and zoning director saying an
unidentified neighbor had claimed we were causing RFI.  I wrote him back a
letter asking dates and times, etc. since there is another ham (who uses
dipoles on 40 & 80) down the block from me and another one on the next block.
At least one Dallas newspaper has done stories on neighborhood associations
and when developers create various types of special use districts that seem to
breed little neighborhood dictators that want to tell everyone what to do.

After I sent my letter to the city in 1994 we've never heard another word.
Although a neighbor behind me says my 50 ft. crankup causes lighting to hit
her house, whose backyard is filled with dozens of live oaks most of them
taller than my tower.  After talking to the folks at PolyPhaser I sent her a
letter explaining from PP how all of her trees were more a potential lightning
problem than my tower.  She hasn't said anything since.

Tom, WW5L