[TowerTalk] radials for 4 square

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 20:47:50 -0500

> The question is: Do I need to solder the radials which
> cross each other in the inner square? Is it too important?

You do not need to solder the wires where they cross, but
soldering them is generally considered the BEST thing to do.

The usual commercial arrangement is to run a heavy wide buss
midway between the towers like a big  +, with a vertical in each
quadrant. All wires that would cross go to the buss and attach to
the buss.

I do not do that with mine, because I have five verticals. I have a
central 200 foot tower with one hundred 200 foot long or longer
radials. Surrounding that tower, I have four 1/4 wl verticals with
about 60 1/4 wave radials on each vertical.

Because so many wires cross, I only solder them where three or
more wires cross. If multiple wires are running outward at almost
the same direction from any intersection point, I only leave that
point with only ONE wire.

Every system is unique, but the best idea is to connect the wires
where they intersect. This sometimes prevents unwanted
resonances in the radial system, and also reduces ground
resistance.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com