[Towertalk] Coax Condiut

Tom Hybiske biskit7@charter.net
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:41:34 -0400

David, I agree with WC1M suggestions.  Additionally, I would suggest the =
installation of a "T" in the middle of the run that would drain into an =
underground "French drain"; a bucket-sized hole filled with gravel.   An =
amazing amount of condensate will accumulate over a period of time, and =
literally bathe your coax and control cables in water.  A gentle slope =
on either side of the "T" will allow the condensate to run into the hole =
to absorbed into the ground.  I would bring the pipe up alongside of =
rather than thru the base.  While the latter looks nice, it might be a =
PITA later on should you ever have to modify your conduit run.  When I =
ran mine, I purchased all the materials from Home Depot with also =
carried the sweeps you'll need for the 90's.  I have four 90's in my =
run, and had no problems chasing a "ghost" thru the pipe using the =
exhaust from a shop vac and a string tied to a plastic bag.  This was =
followed up with the actual pull rope.  My 3" conduit contains one  7/8" =
Heliax, one RG8, rotor control, coax switch control, one weather station =
control, and a length of pull rope.  With the exception of the weather =
station, all were pulled at once with the help of Ideal wire lube and my =
really big kid!  I fed, he pulled.  Remember that unless you can chase a =
future ghost thru the conduit, the pull rope you have in there will wrap =
around the existing cables as they were fed thru the run.  Future runs =
can be difficult to pull, so try to do as many as you can at once.   A =
larger than required pipe will also facilitate a fresh pull line easier =
than one that's just big enough.  Good luck with your installation.

7 3,
Tom K3GM
Sturbridge, MA

multipart/alternative