[Towertalk] verticals was: F12 C4S

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 11:53:42 -0400

At 10:36 AM 7/8/02 -0400, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:
>In urban areas, I've always found quite higher reception of man-made
>noise on verticals, for what ever reason. And unless the vertical is
>over an extended flat copper roof (block of same height row houses),
>practically speaking there's 3 db gone at those touted low angles
>right off the bat, to loss from ground absorption and clutter in most
>situations.

Not to mention the ~6 dB of ground reflection gain, though I grant you it
is  apt to be at a pretty high takeoff angle unless the dipole is quite
high.  Still, the lower half of the first lobe can extend pretty far down
toward the horizon before it is 6 dB below the nose of the lobe.

Another related question  -- I picked up an HF9V vertical to experiment
with for minimal SO2R use.  I have a 40 x 30 foot nearly-flat galvanized
steel roof on my garage, and am thinking about placing the antenna in the
middle of it with the antenna's ground lead connected to the roof.  I
believe the sections of the roof are fairly well connected together, and
wonder what sort of performance it is reasonable to expect from it.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org