[Towertalk] CABLE LUBRICANT SUBSTITUTES

FireBrick FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:29:01 -0600

My occupation was to work on those electric operated, cable supported
scaffolds on high buildings.
I was VERY anal about my cables. We ONLY used approved cable lubricant
obtained from the cable suppliers.
Our cables had a fiber wick running down the core which was designed to
absorb the cable lube and provide protection.

The cable suppliers ABSOLUTELY FORBADE GREASE.
Anybody who entrusts his tower (read: lives and property) to homemade
decision substitutes is making a serious mistake.

I may have Cosmoline confused with something else. But the Cosmoline I'm
familiar with was a gooey brownish greaselike substance which covered our
military surplus weapons.
Not only do I think it would trap dirt, grit and whatever. But what a
miserable stuff to have on a tower you work on.

You May be a CheeseHead if: Your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of
a cow next to your blue spruce.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
w9ol@billnjudy.com