[Towertalk] New Rohn Tower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 11:06:46 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/02 5:04:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time, w5kp@swbell.net
writes:

> Now that you mention Rohn, where were they?

    Where were they? They've never attended Dayton to my knowledge - at least
not in recent history. They, like lots of other businesses, have suffered a
downturn in the last year or two and had lots of layoffs.

    They're really not a marketing kind of company anyway so attending Dayton
isn't really something they'd do.

>  Maybe AN scared them off,

    Scared them off of what? AN makes ONE self-supporting tower to ONE spec.
Rohn makes MANY different kinds of self-supporting and guyed towers and has a
whole engineering department to design them for specific applications.

    AN is one guy who picks up the materials from a machine shop and drives
them down to the galvanizer's in his pick-up. Rohn has their own galvanizing
plant.

>  or they don't give a big rat's behind about ham radio any more, or both.

    I really don't understand the comment. Because you didn't see them at
Dayton they lose all their credibility? Believe me, they APPRECIATE their ham
business.

>  If I
>  hadn't put up my R45 last summer, I'd be ordering a big AN right now - I
was
>  very impressed with them.

    45G is a guyed tower and AN is self-supporting - normally not considered
equivalent structures. (BTW the guys in the Tower Legal Forum at Dayton said
to use the term "antenna support structure" when talking to the local
building authorities and governments since 'tower' has a more negative
connotation.)

    I was also impressed with the AN towers - they are real industrial
strength.

>  BTW, K7LXC's talk was informative and entertaining.

    Tnx.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH