[Towertalk] Re: [Towertalk]Support Structure

Chris BONDE ve7hcb@rac.ca
Tue, 21 May 2002 11:37:45 -0700

OK.  I asked awhile ago, receiving  no definitive answer, "When does a mast
become a tower, and, vice versa?".

If I were on any committee and someone came up with "antenna support
structure" I would immediately have a red flag raised higher than any
tower!  Some legal begal has been here, what are they trying to hide?  If
the non-desript verbage fit in well with the other hard to understand legal
begal verbage (I worked for lawyers in a technical capacity for awhile so
understand a bit of this), then it might fly, ie be hidden, however, it is
a big red mark.

My dictionary describes
     mast as a long pole of wood or steel set upright to support the sails
and rigging of a ship
  2 any upright pole, flag mast, a TV mast,    (so why not a radio mast?)
     tower as a high structure that may be completely walled in, or may
consist only of a framework of metal or wood, .... ... 2 a fortress  3 a
very tall building

I would try   using mast first then antenna support, simpler the better.

Chris opr VE7HCB