[Towertalk] Looking for Antenna Design

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 09:10:22 -0400

Hello Kevin,

> Can anyone on the list point me to a good design article perhaps using
> coax traps for an inverted L design similar to that of W9INN on his
> Broadbander? If so, I would really appreciate the info so that I might
> home brew something similar.

If you have time, and can not model the antenna and tower, I'd
suggest building a slopper out of a handbook article for 80 and 40
and trying it before trying to build something with a trap.

They are pretty simple antennas, but ALL slopers that are not
configured like sloping dipoles require the tower system to be
favorable for installation, or they will not work.

Why not put up a 40 meter sloper (or whatever band you like) and try
it, then length it to 80? If both work, you could add a simple trap
(there are many articles about traps) and have both bands.

My worry is since slopers don't always work (depending on the tower
system) you might chase your tail trying to homebrew a complex
multiband system if there is a problem. 73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com