[Towertalk] Fixing a Yaesu 450XL Controller

George Skoubis george.skoubis@verizon.net
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:45:42 -0600

Hi,

  I bought a Alpha Delta DX-A twin sloper to get on 160, 80, and 40 meters
with one feedline.

  After getting the antenna mounted and tuned on 160 I saw a spot for a VP2
station (CW).  He couldn't hear me with 100 watts so I switched my amp on
and tried again with about 500 watts, after calling him twice I noticed a
burning smell in my shack (never a good sign in my experiences so far) so I
stopped calling.

  I noticed smoke swirling out of my Fluidmotion SteppIR controller (I had
left it and the rotater controller on since I had been using 20 meters) and
at first I thought I had ruined the antenna controller.  I changed
frequencies and could hear the motors working so that wasn't the problem.

  What was the problem was the rotator controller beneath it.  It still
turns the antenna either direction but the indicator needle is stuck in one
position and the overlap led is stuck on.

  Anyone have any idea on how to fix this short of sending it in?  I would
like to have it working by SS Phone weekend...

Thanks,

George / KF9YR