[Towertalk] Hy-Gain Rotators

Mike Gilmer, N2MG n2mg@eham.net
Tue, 05 Nov 2002 11:16:14 -0400

The sticky-brake (or something that acts like one) is such a well known
problem that some electronic controllers actually bump the rotator in
the opposite direction automatically (Rotor-EZ comes to mind).

However, since you claim to have never seen this before with your
rotator, this could be a thrust-bearing/mast/rotator alignment
problem.  Perhaps as you rotate, you pass through an azimuth "window"
with considerable binding.  If you stop in that window, you might find
it difficult to get it started again.  But if you "blow through it" and
come out the other side, you are OK.  Perhaps that window is "...50
degrees or so from either of the limits..." so you cannot "blow through
it".

Mike N2MG

AA5BH wrote:
Whenever I turn the rotator within 50 degrees or so from either of the
limits, the rotator will most likely not turn again for a few hours.  Overnight works best. My T2X is on an 80 Trylon freestanding tower
connected to the control box with 225 feet of brand new, name brand,
heavy duty cable.  We've bench tested the control box and are confident
the problem is not in the box.  All cable ends have been triple checked
for tightness, location, etc.   On the next weekend with good weather,
the last thing we're going to do is exchange my T2X for a friend's
spare to see if we can duplicate the problem with a different rotator.
A friend who has a T2X tells me they always have to be "bumped", that
is, release the brake then push the CW or the CCW lever on then off.
Sometimes this helps.  It also helps to rotate the rotator a little in
the opposite direction you really want to go, then brake and turn the
opposite way, the way you really want to go.  Never again will I run my
T2X anywhere near the limits.  I've owned this rotator since new and
have never experienced this problem until this installation about one
month ago.  Openings to VK or ZL or the South Pacific are no longer fun
as they are about 230 degrees from my QTH.  Very close to the limit,
and I am sure, once turned there, that's where the antenna is pointed
for a few hours.