[Towertalk] Burying ground rods horizontally

Red RedHaines@centurytel.net
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:05:23 -0600

Keep in mind that while grounding in accordance with the NEC provides
safety with respect to the 60 Hz power; it does not provide either RF
ground or the kind of lightning protection ground that hams seek in
connection with antennas and radio equipment.  A single 8 foot ground
rod is not worth much for RF or for lightning dissipation sufficient to
protect electronic equipment.  RF penetrates only a fraction of a
wavelength into the earth.  Limiting the maximum voltage impressed on
your equipment by a lightning strike requires bypassing that energy to a
large volume of earth by multiple ground connections.  Earth is a lossy
capacitor.  Lightning charges that capacitor, then leaks off.  The
maximum voltage is reduced by increasing the capacitance into which it
initially flows.  V = Q/C, where Q is the charge in coulombs and C is
the capacitance in Farads.

73 de WOØW