[Towertalk] Crankup Tubular "Towers"

Matt & Carrie Trott aa7bg@3rivers.net
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 23:15:41 -0600

I don't know how the new ones are built, but I have an old 40' tubular tower
that I think was built by Tristao (similar to the MA-40). The channel 'key'
is (was) held in place by several flathead screws. With years of twisting in
the winds, the screws egged out the holes they were in creating some
sloppiness in the upper tube. This means the beam is pointing in the general
direction the rotor indicates, but may be off 15 or 20 degrees depending on
the wind at any given time. I suppose I could weld the channel key to hold
it firm to the inner tube. The holes are way to egged out to hold bolts.

73,
Matt--K7BG

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of John von Gonten
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 2:57 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [Towertalk] Crankup Tubular "Towers"

I have been considering the US Tower MA-40 or MA-550 crankup tubular
tower as they call them, closer to a tubular crankup mast IMHO.

has anyone had any dealing with these in real world situations, these
are the 40' and 55' models.  Are they worth the money? Do the really
perform well in a sometimes windy area.

I live in North Central / North East Texas.  D/FW to be specific.

I have a small lot to deal with and do not really have room for much int
eh backyard and will not put anything in the front due to neighborhood
hoodlums.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

| John von Gonten   - N5BSD        | ERROR 406: file corrupt:
| Grid-Square: EM12lr              | config.earth --- reboot universe?
| Email : N5BSD@rblprd.com         | (Y/N)
| WEB   : http://www.rblprd.com    |

---