[Towertalk] GAO Challenger DX

Jim Shaw Jim@ShawResources.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:51:48 -0700

Steve
OK, but here's one more wrinkle to consider.  The SteppIR single 33 ft high
self supporting radiating element has minimal wind resistance and can be
roof mounted (or chimney?).  So, ground radials aren't involved if done this
way.

Further, according to some credible articles, elevating a vertical, or at
least its radials, even just a little bit, usually pays dividends. So much
so that maybe 4 or, at most 8, radials per band would provide as good or
better ground than 45 or more buried radials.  The last reference listed
below is so adamant about this that it specifically states that one of the
"lessons learned" from the expedition was "Under most any circumstance,
radials should be elevated".

I know there is some controversy about the value of elevating a verticals
(or at least the radials), but I would appreciate learning more.  Please
fire away.  BTW, here are the references so you can check them out yourself
and see if I am misreading them.

1-"Elevated Vertical Antenna Systems: Is your vertical system performance up
to snuff?  If not, maybe it needs a lift - in elevation above ground that
is!". (ARRL "Vertical Antenna Classics, KB8I, pg 108).

2-"Elevated Vertical Antennas for the Low Bands: Varying the Height and
Number of Radials" by KB8I, The ARRL Antenna Compendium - Vol 5.

3-"Vertical Dipoles and Ground Planes: What Antenna Modeling Reports" by
W4RNL available online at http://www.cebik.com/vdgp.html

4-“Verticals for Contest Expeditions: Learnings from the 6Y4A CQ WW CW
Contest” By Kenny Silverman, K2KW and Tom Schiller, N6BT.
 http://www.k2kw.com/verticals/learning.html

73 de Jim WA6PX
JGShaw@Alumni.HAAS.org