[Towertalk] Clearing the guys

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:21:20 EDT

I have been following the thread on clearing guy wires with rotating antennas
side mounted and mounted on a rotating tower.  K7LXC's suggestion about
bending the elements to make the last little couple inches of clearance
reminded me of a problem I had and how I solved it.

My 5 el 20 meter beam at 150 feet is side mounted on a swing arm and was able
to clear  two sets of guys but not the third one mounted around 190+ feet
because of the unequal projection when it swung out full.  Solution: I tilted
the boom sideways about three or four degrees so the offending element was
lower by about a foot.  Presto, problem fixed.  It looks a little goofy, but
it beats all the alternatives requiring lots of work.  For all the anal
purists out there...yeah, I know I lost .000004 db.  I'll live with it.

Bill K4XS