[Towertalk] Clearing the guys

k4oj k4oj@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:59:51 -0400

for those worried about how detrimental this is to Bill's signal I
recommend you check out his scores in recent
competitions....or....simply tune 20 duirng a contest and decide who is
king of the band!

One sidemount I saw did not quite allow the beam to miss the
guys...instead of mounting the beam in the usual range of mounting, the
sidemount gate's vertical pipe was dropped so that it was sticking
lower, and the beam was mount at the same height as the rotor.... this
is similar to the upside down J  sidemounts K4XS uses... renders the
antenna at a lower height - and thus farther away from the guy above.

Another quirky manner of handling the sidemount is if you are mounting
the boom onto the vertical part of a gate or other side mount try making
where the boom and the sidearm meet NOT be at a 90 degree angle...did
this once with a sidemounted tribander that was just missing... of
course along with this you have to diddle the pot for antenna heading
slightly...

K4OJ