[Towertalk] Hy-Gain Tail Twister

Mike Rhodes weightdn@adelphia.net
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:39:58 -0400

Friend of mine had a problem with a tailtwister in that it would rotate into
the west and then stop. Would not go thru west to south. Only way to get
going again was climb the tower and 'help' the rotor back toward the north.
Tried everything and finally found the motor was bad - an apparently not too
uncommon problem for a certain vintage tailtwister. Another indicator of the
problem was that the rotor did not sound 'healthy'. It seemed like it was
lacking in power although you couldn't stop it by hand. Just didn't sound
right. Good luck with your problem.

Mike / W8DN

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Miller" <bruce@epocs.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 8:31 PM
Subject: [Towertalk] Hy-Gain Tail Twister

I've got a Tail Twister that will not turn when the wind is blowing.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and come up with a workable
solution?  I've got an M2 10M7 10 meter monobander, 45 foot boom, 6 sq.
ft. of wind load, on an 80 foot Trylon self supporting tower.  The TT
was purchased new by me in 1988, with a factory "tune up" in 1993.  It
is located inside the tower about 8 feet from the tower top.  We can
hear the brake release when that lever is depressed, but the antenna
will not move either cw or ccw.  Last weekend when this happened, I
tried turning the rotor first thing in the morning and it turned as it
should.  My first thought is to get a heavy duty rotor that can handle
the antenna.  But Hy-Gain advertises the T-2X as an "extra heavy duty"
rotator capable of handling "large antennas up to 20 square feet wind
load".  The QTH is northeastern New Mexico where the wind blows on a
calm day at about 15mph!  Ideas?  Is the equivalent of 15 to 25mph winds
and the torque they produce on a 45 foot boom in excess of Hy-Gains 20
sq. ft. specification?  Thanks,
Bruce, AA5BH