[Towertalk] Removing Superficial Rust from Rohn Tower Sections

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:49:28 EDT

In a message dated 10/18/02 1:12:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
k4oj@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> ...do yourself a favor - invest in a nice cordless drill - you cannot
>  image the chores you will do with it - not to mention honey do's take
>  less time when you don't have to drag out an extension cord!  The
>  favorite tool in my arsenal is my Milwaukee Cordless

    Yessireebob, er...Jim!

    I totally agree. I've got an old 12V version and use it constantly (just
had to order 2 new batteries since I just wore out the originals after 4
years or so). My favorite feature is that it has a 1/2" chuck so you can put
some decent sized drill bits in it - and it's got enough torque to drive
them. One battery is more than enough for drilling a mast up on the tower.
(Just make sure you've got sharp bits!)

    My favorite use is for assembling antennas. Get a chuck-to-3/8" ratchet
driver adapter and use it with deep sockets to tighten or loosen U-bolts. Get
a 5/16" socket end and use it for 95% of hoseclamps. Also very handy for
drilling out F12 rivets.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -