[Towertalk] Moving To New QTH

David Robbins k1ttt@arrl.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 11:59:38 -0000

> Chris says:
> >There has been spotty evidence that even high tension transmission
> electric
> >power lines have caused weird things in the animals that graze
beheath
> the
> >lines.
>
> Numerous studies have been unable to correlate any problems with
> reasonable proximity to power lines...

there are some well documented 'weird things' about animals and high
voltage transmission.  Cows are especially sensitive to small voltages
caused by the electric field under the lines and also to small stray
voltages on milking equipment.  Many years ago the facility I work at
did testing to determine what electric and magnetic fields were
detectable by people under and around high voltage lines.  Its
interesting how small of a field you can detect under the proper
conditions.  Its also interesting that even with much larger field in
long term animal experiments there have been no significant correlations
to disease... of course that hasn't stopped regulators from setting all
sorts of limits.  I'll bet that if you go to that station and ask to see
their rf exposure calculations the engineer would probably be able to
whip out a big fat folder of tests and calculations.

> >People are objecting to the cell relay stations on the top of
building
> they
> >live in or work in.  Mind you a different frequency.
>
> Cell phone exposure... Another area where no correlation has been
> established...

but that won't stop them from objecting.  I wouldn't worry about one on
top of the building I live or work in.  after all for that one you are
under the antenna which is probably in a null of the field anyway, and
you most likely also have a metal frame and roof between you and the
antenna.  The guy who should worry is the one on the taller building
next to you who looks right out his window at the antenna.

> I suspect his exposure at this sight wouldn't be any worse than most
> downtown locations in major cities where every high-rise is bristling
> with antennas.

Probably not, remember that tv broadcasters are trying to cover a large
area, so the antennas hopefully aren't wasting power by sending it down,
they want it to go out toward the horizon.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net