[Towertalk] 45G (guyed) vs. SSV (self-supp'g) 70-ft. tower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:59:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/02 8:48:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ccc@space.mit.edu writes:

> Can anyone give me an estimate of the overall cost of each
>  alternative (45G or SSV), considering not only the tower itself but
>  also the foundation work, professional erection, and guying (for the
>  45G)?
>
>  In other words, what's the net cost of doing without guys?

    In 25 words or less?

    You can gather the steel costs yourself - check Texas Towers or other
Rohn dealers.

    In general, the cost for the guyed system will be less - less excavation,
less concrete, less steel. My rough guess is the guyed system will run 30% or
more less. Erection of the SSV/RTP will be more because you have to assemble
each section. So if you want the least expensive 100' antenna structure and
have the real estate and spousal approval, you can't beat a guyed system.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -