[Towertalk] 45G (guyed) vs. SSV (self-supp'g) 70-ft. tower

Chuck Counselman ccc@space.mit.edu
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:15:59 -0400

At 8:59 AM -0400 9/30/02, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 9/29/02 8:48:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>ccc@space.mit.edu writes:
>
>>  Can anyone give me an estimate of the overall cost of each
>>   alternative (45G or SSV), considering not only the tower itself but
>>   also the foundation work, professional erection, and guying (for the
>>   45G)?
>>
>  >  In other words, what's the net cost of doing without guys?
>>
>...You can gather the steel costs yourself - check Texas Towers or other
>Rohn dealers.

I'd already done that.  The difference in steel cost is not
significant.  The _erection_ of a 70-ft. SSV tower is what worries me.

>...if you want the least expensive 100' antenna structure and
>have the real estate and spousal approval, you can't beat a guyed system.

I know that a guyed system is cheaper, but by how much?  $3k, $30k,
or what?  Just approximately.

I'm short on real estate.  Guy anchors would have to go in the
"setback(s)" of my lot.  Obtaining zoning approval may be difficult
and could force me into compromises that I want to avoid.

-Chuck, W1HIS