[TowerTalk] clamping old Phillystan ????

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Apr 1 09:42:11 EST 2003

w7ry at centurytel.net writes:

> I respectfully disagree....!
>
>  I have some Philistran (4000 Lbs) that I purchased from Texas Towers about
>  10 years ago. The*** manufactures recommendations**** were to use 4ea 3/8"
>  wire rope clips to secure each end.

    Well, that was 10 years ago and before the availability of the special
Phillystan Preformed grips. The only current factory approved termination is
the special grips.

    DO NOT use cable clamps on any Phillystran. The LXC Prime Directive to
"DO what the manufacturer says" definitely applies here.

>  There was a plastic cap that you would glue to the open end of the phlli to
>  keep the ultraviolet out. I used about 25 feet of 3/16" EHS on the bottom
>  end.... A field fire (which was common in Spokane) would have burned the
>  Phily... Also for possible vandalism.

    Excellent idea and highly recommended for all Phillystran installations.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -