[TowerTalk] 30 ft height restriction

Jerry Connelly jerryc at clinchrivercorp.com
Sat Apr 5 17:16:58 EST 2003

When I sterted getting permit applications to put up my small
40 to 50' tower I learned of our city ordinance which said that
antennas and antenna supports fall under accessory structures
and have a height limitation of 20' (my vertical was taller than that
just sitting on the ground without a mast).  I had to go through tha
the zoning board for a variance before they would process my application.
A copy of PRB-1 and some landmark court decisions in other states
helped pave an easier road for me.  PRB-1 had not been adopted in our state
(at that time) but the city officials didn't want to spend the time or money to
refuse my variance application and fight it out in court for one "short tower" when
my close neighbors signed a letter of "no objections" on my behalf.  By the way
the zoning board sent everyone in my neighborhood a letter detailing my application
so thay could send written comments or come to the quartly meeting.
Results might have been very different had I been planning something HUGE!!
JerryC  KC8TES