[TowerTalk] OT: Location Location?

BobK8IA at aol.com BobK8IA at aol.com
Sat Apr 5 19:44:15 EST 2003

In a message dated 4/5/2003 4:51:10 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
w8aef at worldnet.att.net writes:

> In Phoenix, Arizona you have to stay away from the newer (after 1980)
> subdivisions.  You either have to get right down town (in the older area)
> or
> out in the country.  Even in some parts of rural Arizona you have to be
> careful.
>
> In 1995/6 we were looking and made a few purchase offers with "subject to
> buyers approval of CC&R's, if any" as a contingency.  Got us out of 2 deals
> without any problems and really upset the sellers in both cases.
>
> I found that it helps if you do not fall in love with the place you are
> looking at.  Kinda hard to do if a significant other is involved but that
> is
> where I am really fortunate in having the support of my wife.
>
> de Paul, W8AEF

Paul is pretty accurate. I just moved to the Phoenix area in October and an
extensive search began the previous May (May 2002). I enlisted the help of an
agent who my son trusted (my son works for a title agency) and who was a good
friend of my son as well.

My instructions to him were simple "I am interested in a home having XXX
features in a $YYY to $ZZZ price range on a lot at least an acre. AND it must
NOT have a HOA or any restrictive CCR's and be in a community that permits at
least a 70' tower." (My concession, considering the cities around Phoenix, ny
present ham needs etc).

That agent busted his butt. After screening 54 homes with me and tying
himself to me for many days, I finally found this place about 35 miles east
of downtown Phoenix. Not fancy, just fine for 2 people in the twilight yrs
that enjoy some seclusion, yet like to ride our motorcycles and me to ham a
bit. Its an acre with backyard surrounded by a 6' block wall and closest
neighbor about 300' away prefect. ;-) The city has a ham tower ordinance,
75',  but I found it very workable. Easy. My tower is up and I am happy with
no muss or fuss re HOA idiots or restrictive CCR's. People are pretty much
live and let live here in rural metro Phoenix, and I like that!

Dont take the condemnation of agents as universal. Find one who really cares
about your interest and work with him/her. Give him/her time to help you
(i.e.dont give him instructions like mine and then say  "I need to move in a
month"). Mine took 5 months and all is well!

Oh, Geo, one other thing. I dont think there's any room for another ham in
this neighborhood. <grin>

73,Bob K8IA
far eastern Mesa, Arizona USA
near the Superstition Mtns